Thursday, January 6, 2011

Whole Wheat Pasta with Shrimp and Alfredo Sauce


Shhhh! Don't tell Michael about the shrimp.  He doesn't eat shrimp.  At least that's what he says.  The fact that he was eating shrimp the first time he told me that suggests otherwise.  Now that I think about it, that may have been the meal that won his heart.  It was fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and, when I made it, I had no idea that he didn't like shrimp.  Luckily, he quickly discovered how completely yummy shrimp is when smothered in alfredo sauce.  From time to time he still says that he doesn't eat shrimp, but I know better.

That original alfredo sauce was the traditional version - complete with all the fattening ingredients including, but not limited to, a whole stick of butter.  Yikes!  In support of Michael's efforts to be healthier in the new year, I sought out a low cal version of the alfredo sauce.  I have to admit that I had my doubts.  I mean, seriously, how good could alfredo sauce be when stripped of all the fat?  The answer is 'pretty darn'.

I found the recipe online and you can view the original here.  I say that because you and I both know that I didn't do exactly what she said.

Here's what you need for the sauce:

Milk
Chicken broth
Garlic
Salt
Butter (about half a tablespoon)
Grated parmesan cheese
Flour

The amount of broth should be half the amount of milk.  Combine them in your sauce pan and add the butter.  I grate my own parm, and I have no idea how much I used.  I just grate cheese until my fingers start cramping from turning the handle.  That's a standard amount for any recipe that involves grating cheese.  I suppose you can use garlic powder if you want, but I prefer the fresh stuff.  I recommend a bunch of it.  There's no such thing as too much garlic.  Add salt to taste and a little bit of flour to thicken the sauce.  Bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to let it cook slowly for a bit.  It's a bit thinner than the fattier version but the flavor doesn't suffer at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment