Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Breakfast Pizza


From the time I was a small child, mornings were always calm and orderly for me. My mother never overslept, never ran late and never, ever ate a pop tart in the car on her way to work because she didn’t have time for breakfast. Even with three kids to care for, there was rarely a moment of chaos in her house. It was a lovely way to grow up.

I can’t say that I’ve lived up to her standards in every way, but I know I hit the mark in the breakfast department for sure. I give myself plenty of time in the mornings to sit down with a bite to eat and a cup of coffee without having to rush around. I always made sure that my daughter started her days that way and I do the same now for Michael.

When work takes me away from home for a few days, I try to make some meals in advance so that Michael doesn’t end up eating fast food all week. Breakfast can be a challenge, because eggs don’t always reheat well. The breakfast pizza is my solution to that problem. It also works well if you are one of those eat-on-the-run kind of people. Just nuke it and go. Way better than a pop tart.

Here’s what you’ll need:

1 large pizza crust (click here for my pizza crust recipe)
2 cups of mozzarella cheese, finely shredded
4 large eggs
4 slices of crispy bacon, crumbled (the thick-sliced stuff that doesn’t shrink when you cook it)
¼ red bell pepper, diced
Diced green onions (about ¼ cup)

Spread the cheese evenly across the pizza crust. Next crack the eggs on top of the cheese. Try and space them out evenly. With a fork, break the yolk and gently encourage the whites to spread around as much as possible. Be careful not to stick your fork all the way through the crust. Spread the crumbled bacon, bell pepper and diced onions evenly across the top of the pizza.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the egg is no longer runny.


3 comments:

  1. Que rica y linda pizza,muy lindo su colorido fíjate que yo no soy de mucha pizza ,pero la que tu has preparado se ve fresca y muy saludable,he estado mirando tus otras recetas y se ven muy buena, me encanta aprender de otros blog por ello me quedo en el tuyo,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosita,

    Thank you for the kind words. The pizza was so good that now I make it regularly when I am out of town.

    Take care,
    Deidra

    ReplyDelete